Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Oops, I Hooked My Boyfriend on Crochet

There's only three days left! Like my photo to help me win the I Love Yarn Day contest.

---

I posted my first ever video a few weeks ago, Crochet for Absolute Beginners. I went through the process of teaching someone who is brand new to crochet, how to pick a hook, hold their yarn, make a slip knot, then make chain stitches and single crochets, as well as two different styles of turning your work and a simple finish.




I also went through the important process of practicing with a guinea pig, seeing where a new person had questions because I wasn't clear enough with my explanation - or maybe I didn't think to explain it at all because it comes naturally to me now. This guinea pig was my ever helpful boyfriend. I thanked him for his time and we went merrily on our ways. Okay, he went merrily on his way, I went to figure out how to edit video on a laptop with no screen that continually overheats.

A few days later, I was scrolling through Pinterest, where I of course pinned the adorable Little Pumpkin amigurumi from my Halloween round-up post, when my boyfriend looks over.

"Wait, you can make things in 3-D??"

We went to the store to pick up yarn and I gave him two of my extra hooks, and the rest is history.




I had to help him with the magic circles and figuring out how sc2tog work, but everything else he figured out from what I had taught using the same information from my beginner's tutorial above.


I don't know about you, but when I first picked up a crochet hook I couldn't even make an even square using single crochets. Have you ever taught someone who was just a natural? Tell me about it in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hi, I'd love to hear your thoughts!